San Leo, already called Montefeltro is 583 meters above sea level, 32 km. from Rimini, in Val Marecchia (SS 258), on a huge Boulder around impassable; It is accessed by a single road cut into the rock.
On the highest point of the spur stands the impregnable Fort, rebuilt by Francesco di Giorgio Martini, in the 15th century, by order of Federico da Montefeltro lll.
The ancient city which was capital (from the source to the end) of the County of Montefeltro and civilian and military battles for nearly two millennia, with the title of Berengar II of Italy Capital (962-964). S. Leone (sec. IV ad) It was the evangelizer.
The city hosted Dante ("Vassi in San Leo ...") and St. Francis of Assisi, who received the gift of the Monte della Verna from count Orlando of Chiusi in Casentino (1213). It still keeps the room where the interview took place between the two men. The Fort was converted into a prison during the Papal domain were imprisoned the count of Cagliostro, who died there in 1795, and Felice Orsini (1844).
Remarkable architectural heritage preserved: the pre-Romanesque Church, the Romanesque cathedral of sec. XLL, the Fort; The Sacred Art Museum recently set up in the Palazzo Mediceo, scattered throughout the municipality, the ruins of several castles, including those of Seattle, and fold, the Franciscan convent of s. Igne, the Dominican convent of Monte di Pietracuta di Montemaggio, the Church, with a remarkable coffered wood ceiling.
The panorama from San Leo is one of the most beautiful and characteristic of the region with sweeping views of the surrounding mountains and along the Marecchia Valley, down to the sea.
Equipped with modern sports facilities, in addition to the soccer fields, tennis courts, an aviation area where you can practice the glider (sailplane). From the rocks of Mount San Severino and can take off with a paraglider.
The municipality of Verucchio
Going up towards Verucchio reveals the beautiful panorama of the Marecchia Valley green and sweet, while Southeast gaze goes to see the entire Adriatic coast with a horizon of the sea so close to behold, in clear weather, the slava. Arrived in the medieval village is now a mix of tradition and history, since piazza Malatesta where three interesting buildings: Palazzo del Municipio, the 18th-century Palazzo Garcia and the neoclassical Palazzo Bedetti. From here you can take a tour of the country to discover the Malatesta and beyond.
Verucchio has a very old history closely linked to the Signoria Malatesta. But long before the middle ages and more precisely in the iron age, between the ninth and sixth centuries BC, Verucchio hosts an important settlement villanovan culture which still has extraordinary exhibits in its Museum.
The archaeological museum is housed in an ancient monastery founded by the Augustinian Fathers in the 13th century, enlarged in 1646 and was restored in 1980. Opened in 1985, the Museum preserves and offers unique exhibits: objects produced from organic materials preserved thanks to the chemical and physical properties of the rock where they had dug graves and villanovan necropolis-Etruscans. The first discoveries in Verucchio date back to the 17th century but the most important excavations, which have unearthed hundreds of tombs belonging to the ninth and the seventh century BC. In addition to ossuari (URNs containing the remains of the cremation of corpses) burials have handed down to us the remnants of fabric, weaving tools, weapons, jewelry and gold brooches and beautiful amber, large ceramic and bronze kits, fine wooden objects including the great throne [intersiato] with human figures.
The structure of the village of Verucchio is medieval times. In the late 12th century and the impregnable fortress of 1462 Verucchio is the fiefdom from where they keep their balance Malatesti power over the entire coastline and brands. The October 31 siege 1462 solved by deception by Federico da Montefeltro decrees the end of the Malatesta fortress on domain. Over the Signoria Malatesta, Pope Leo X assigns Verucchio the title of city. Comitali families happen in Verucchio are those of doctors (a branch of the powerful Florentine family) and Pius Komnenos. After half of the Macroom 500 back in possession of the Church.
Rocca di Verucchio Villages and towns of Verucchio: Pieve Corena, Ponte Verucchio, Villa Verucchio.
Verucchio Malatesta Fortress (Rocca del Sasso)
The monumental complex of the Malatesta fortress is a collection of buildings built in different periods, between the 12th and 16th century in a large area taken on the highest point of the "sasso" Verucchio from where you can admire a unique panorama. At the end of the 12th century the fortress belonged to the Malatesta family already.
Here was born the "Mastin Vecchio" Malatesta da Verucchio, the big boss guelfo who conquered Rimini in 1295 and founded the Signoria Malatesta.
The remains of the 13th century fortress with its ancient tower can still be admired inside the 15th century structure is the result of the intervention of Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta of 1449. Inside you can visit the rooms with interesting exhibitions, the impressive great Hall, you can go down in the Dungeon and climb to the top of the Tower from which you can admire a breathtaking view.
From the beautiful Malatesta fortress or Rocca del Sasso, one can admire a fantastic panorama. A visit to the monumental complex, built between the 12th and 16th century, gives us the charm of everyday life at the time of the Lords.
Traditions of the Marecchia Valley
There are many folk traditions of val Marecchia, from the kitchen to the typical shops. Local cuisine: Besides the mpre piadina if present accompanied by fresh meats and cheeses, delicious traditional noodles with meat sauce and grilled meats with mutton. Do not miss the strong flavors of the forest with mushrooms and truffles and game.
Wines: land that produces an excellent wine which is the Sangiovese di Romagna, accompanied by local delicacies. You get a good well Cagnina.
Shopping & souvenirs: in the beautiful shops of craftsmen are printed paintings, embroidery, and rustic furniture.
Surroundings: A very impressive Villa Verucchio il Convento dei Frati Minori Francescani with the centuries-old Cypress which tradition says was planted by the Saint. In Villa Verucchio the Rimini Golf Club, surrounded by superb and green, you can look up the daring of the Marecchia Valley packages.
SANTARCANGELO DI ROMAGNA
Santarcangelo di Romagna is developed in Roman times.
Historians claim that the first settlement took place after the formation of the nearby Rimini, around 268 BC.
His campaigns were marked by the work of centuriation territory of Rimini. The construction of the great Via Emilia, which now runs through the town, favored at that time already trades and increase in population.
The heart of the old town is placed on a soft Hill called Jupiter. Here is still very recognizable the typical structure of a medieval fortified town. The middle ages left an indelible imprint on contrade indescribable and the historical center dominated by the solid, strategic bastion Fortress on the surrounding plain.
The Hill of Santarcangelo retains the charm and mystery of the more than 200 caves dug into the Tuff, suggestive of underground which is not yet well known origin.
Santarcangelo di Romagna
Altitude: m 42
Distance from Rimini: km 9
Fractions of Santarcangelo: Canonica Montalbano, San Martino dei Mulini, St. Michael, St. Agatha, Santa Giustina (part).
The country and the Rimini territory
In the 12th century there were fortifications around the town.
The Malatesta family, who ruled the country as early as the 13th century, the castle became even bigger and richer.
The role of country paramount acquired between the middle ages and Renaissance was later established; in 1700 and 1800 the original village grew up keeping an enviable urban harmony.
Noble and popular parts parts integrated seamlessly, giving rise to what today is definitely one of the historic centers not only the largest but also the most interesting and evocative of the Rimini territory.
In 1828 Santarcangelo is adorned by Pope Leo XII the title of city. In 1984 is attributed to Santarcangelo the title of city of art.
Worth visiting are the stylish and elegant churches, the beautiful piazza Ganganelli, the tiny streets of the old town, the Malatesta fortress, the caves, the Museum Ball game at cuff and the tambourine and the ethnographic traditions and customs of the people of Romagna, one of the most important collections of testimonies demo-ethno-anthropological. Santarcangelo di Romagna is a special country. pretty far from the sea at 7 Km, 20 from Cesena and Rimini 10, bordering the road S.S. No. 9, is easily reachable from any point you arrive. It owes its name to the Holy Archangel Michael, but to stand out from other places of the same name from 1862, following the municipal resolution, its name is written in full. Built around his Parish, the oldest monument in the city, with the first barbarian invasions shifted towards the hill called Monte Giove, an ancient village still inhabited, developing, around 1700, toward the floor, thus generating the Santarcangelo today.
The location where the Santarcangelo, part country and part in floor and double soul and folk nobleman of the inhabitants make this city a special country. Very old and yet quiet despite it has become over the years the tourist holiday destination. Much has also its monuments, the mysterious caves, its traditions, its excellent food to its people, its fairs that attracted thousands of people have contributed for years to launch the tourist image of this city. Capital of dialect poetry, traditions still alive, its events and its antique fairs, such as those of San Michele (September) and of San Martino (November).
San Marino is a Republic with an ancient history that has its roots as far back as 301 ad, the year of its foundation. A story that tells of a people that has always given the utmost importance to the values of freedom and democracy, social policy choices leading and notable historical.
San Marino was neutral during World War II and, in keeping with its proverbial hospitality, welcomed and given asylum to 100,000 refugees. Going back in time was praised by the great Abraham Lincoln, who visited in 1861 as ... one of the most honored of all history. Garibaldi also in full by the Austrians and escape from Rome, he found asylum on Mount Titano in 1,849. Over the centuries there were many events that have attack on the freedom and independence of the State, but all were faced with great diplomacy and intelligence always managing to ensure that autonomy Republic so passionately defends 1,712 years now.
The historic centre of San Marino is definitely the place that focuses on many architectural and cultural testimonies of the past. Worth a visit are the Government Palace, the Museum of ancient weapons, the Basilica del Santo, the Church of San Francesco with its indoor gallery, the Capuchin church and then a slew of "smaller" museums, but not less interesting as that of modern weapons, cars, or wax of curiosity. In San Marino are also organized every year numerous thematic exhibitions or international monographs in various locations in the old town: Kursaal Convention Center at the Palazzo Pubblico, the first tower to the State Museum.
The medieval tradition is deeply felt by the sanmarinesi to the point that every summer we organise the medieval days, rievo historical applications involving much of the population and the famous San Marino Crossbowmen Federation, for the pleasure of tourists and many visitors who every year flock to the tiny Republic. During the year there are many parties, festivals, music festivals, exhibitions and sporting events that offer a wide range of opportunities to make a visit to this place full of opportunities for recreation.
San Marino is considered an ideal place for shopping. Here the prices for some product categories are slightly lower compared to Italy. To purchase computer products and technology, perfumes and cosmetics, petrol, tobacco and liquor, musical instruments and clothing brand in several outlets and shopping malls that dot the area.
Torriana is 7 km from Santarcangelo di Romagna. Villanovan origins, after 1000 was ruled by the Malatesta da Verucchio. Legend has it that in the dungeons of the castle of Torriana Gianciotto Malatesta was killed.
In 1504, like much of Romagna, Torriana passed to Venice returning after a few years at the Church, who in 1519 gave to conte Pio of Carpi. Agricultural Centre for a long time the slopes of monte were eroded his Flayed by quarrymen and Masons. It was the center of the Valley reports in ' 300, being part of the complicated system of countries where Towers stood for lights that came up in Urbino and Montefeltro around.
The Flayed name was changed from Benito Mussolini in 1938 in Torriana. In the late 70 's, including Morrison Montebello, today his fraction, from the town of Sogliano al Rubicone. Montebello is known for its castle belonging to the family of the Earls of Bath where, at the beginning of the 800, you celebrated the exploits of the Bandit Thomas Rinaldini, said "Mason dla Blona" then decapitated, papal troops in Ravenna. Between Montebello and Torriana stands the Hill of Saiano, overlooking the Marecchia, where in 1300 a church was built, later expanded and dedicated to our Lady.
Location certainly inhabited since the iron age, as evidenced by the numerous archaeological findings on site.
In the Middle Ages it was equipped with an imposing Castle built on top of a rocky outcrop.
Documented from 1141, when it was granted by Pope Lucius II to the Church of Rimini, which gave in to M 1186 of Verucchio.
Long contended for his dominance on the Marecchia Valley, was still a possession of Malatesta until 1462, when it was conquered by the Montefeltro.
The underlying village, built on the base of the limestone rock on which stands the fortification dates back to more recent times.
In ancient times the name was Castle Castrum Scortigatae (Flayed), its present name dates back to 1938.
Along a paved road along the Ridge, the only existing Torriana is reached in a few minutes at Montebello castle. Place of ancient battles, spells, ghosts of tender, Montebello has preserved in spite of the centuries. and thanks to its location and solitary grifagna, a medieval structure intact. Besides its ramparts and behind the silhouette of the castle the hills sloping down to the plain and the sea. And on the horizon, Blues in the distance or crisp on sunny days, you can see the foothills of the Apennines of dark woods.
Roman military source (3rd century BC) as testified by the name, namely Mons Belli, the Mount of war, Montebello castle was purchased in 1186 by the Malatesta family who, in this borderland where all were enemies of all, provided to equip it with fortifications. The site was located on sites of Montefeltro, historical enemies of Malatesta.
And the Montefeltro in 1393, with a daring coup, succeeded in conquering the impregnable fortress. Only in 1438 Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, with military genius and ruthlessness, they returned him to his powerful family who lived during those years, the pinnacle of your domain. But the enmity of Pope Pius II Piccolomini and eternal rivals Montefeltro decreeing the unstoppable declinio Malatesta. Montebello castle in 1463 passes to the counts Guidi di Bagno che ne they still own.
The fortress of Montebello
Immediately after the portal that leads to the fortified circle of Montebello, on the right, a stony ramp leads to the Group, which is on the second lap of the fortified bastion walls inside the fortress.
The construction, grafted on the rock, is the original de lla fortification. Around it, between the 11th and 16th centuries, other structures were added which gave the Castle features typical of a noble palace.